Monday, August 15, 2011

Deception Pass and Fort Casey

Tom took last Tuesday off for a family outing - we had tickets to Jetty Island but when we woke up to clouds and upper 50's we decided on Fort Casey with a stop at Deception Pass on the way and the ferry on the way home.


Let me take a minute and tell you a story: after such a fun day together I was excited to load these pictures onto our computer and get the camera set for the next day's family reunion activities. Next day comes and i can't find the camera. Anywhere. Tom takes the van apart, seats are out (it gets vacuumed in the process) we go through everything we'd packed, I looked everywhere. I figured the camera had fallen out of the can at some point while we were loading things up at the fort or at the camp ground we stopped to scope out for next year. I cried. I moped. I didn't care so much about the camera as I did about the SD card with my pictures. I called the fort, the lighthouse, the campground, the ferry, even DQ where we stopped for dinner. No luck. Friday I went out and got a new camera since we were in the middle of a big family reunion. Saturday evening I was doing laundry when I found my camera in the bottom of the laundry basket in our room. I'd already torn through the one in the laundry room thinking that was were my clothes had ended up (I had my camera in my pants pocket). I was soooo relieved! I can't stand not knowing where something is. But.. I also loved my new camera (it had very high ratings in the consumer report) so I sold the one I'd just found for $50. After getting my beloved pictures off it. So enjoy the pictures that I thought I'd never get to see!




Beautiful!


The fort was so fun - everyone had their own flashlights and hardly anyone was there, making it ever better!




Most "rooms" were super dark, I even had a chance to hide and jump out at the boys :)

We explored for hours - the fort was huge!







And overlooked the water - such a great view








Colt's ladder - this was at the far end of the fort, where we first started exploring. People were on the ladder when we passed it so we kept going. Colt was smitten with this ladder. He kept asking when we could go down it - all afternoon. Finally, when we got back to that end after exploring the whole fort and the beach he got to go down it.


Then we went up into the lighthouse - great view, steep steps


Skyler of course found a great climbing tree


Heidi walked several miles and went up and down countless ladders and steps. She slept sound the whole ride home and the whole night


On our way from the lighthouse to the van we looked over and saw this Mama deer and her two babies. The boys were in awe and Colt begged me to take pictures

2 comments:

preston said...

Glad you found your camera. Love Fort Casey, even Preston asked where it was to see if we could stop by again during our trip he enjoyed it so much. Memories...

twopeasinapod said...

Fort Casey is soo cool! Can't wait til Liam is old enough to enjoy it. Looks like you guys had fun, we really enjoyed getting to see you guys. - Kyle