Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A glimpse at each of my kids - for me to remember the little things

Some nights Colt finds many excuses for getting out of bed - some of my favorite: pillow is to flat, his eyes won't stay closed, he's grown out of his comforter (it had Buzz on it - we'd already replaced it but his newer one never got put back on after being washed), he had to tell us something but he forgot what it was... But tonight I figured out a way to make him beg for bed... homework after hours. With my teaching schedule today and his after school activities we didn't have a chance to do homework until 8:15 when the other kids went to bed. We got 75% done and he was asking to go to bed - good thing we have time to finish in the morning. He had 4 teeth pulled on Monday, poor kid. I'll put some pictures up this week. He wrote a note to the tooth fairy asking if she could only take the smallest one since the others had such big roots. He didn't think they'd fit in a baby's mouth. What makes him tick right now? Pokemon, collecting state quarters, star wars, making deals with us.

Skyler - he's my social kid. Loves to talk, always has. When he was 2 he talked non stop - we just couldn't understand any of what he said. Speech helped a ton and now he still doesn't stop! He even talks/laughs in his sleep. If I'm not around to listen during the day he talks to himself. He'll ask ridiculous questions just to strike up a conversation, like the time he asked "why are there roads? Why is there a hole for my head in my shirt?" He talks to his toys, he talks to anyone with ears and a heartbeat. Last Sunday on the way home from church the boys were in the back seat and I heard Colt ask, in a pretty patient voice, "do you ever stop talking?" And I thought to myself, "no, no he doesn't - but that's what makes him Skyler." Skyler recently got glasses...pictures to come. They aren't as fun to wear as I think he was thinking they would be, but he may only need them for a few years. He's far-sighted, and wanted "golden glasses." We settled with a pair of blue and a pair of green. He has very neat handwriting for a 5 year old and takes great pride in his careful, detailed artwork/homework/writing. What makes Skyler tick right now? Card games like Crazy 8's, Uno, Go Fish, ect., Legos, Pokemon, Kindergarten homework.

Heidi. She thinks she's 5. Or 5 1/2. Let's see. She has specific preferences about what she wears. Some days she demands a dress, as in, refuses to let me put pants on her. Refuses. Other days she'll only accept pink socks. Other days she brings me 5 or 6 changes of hair bows. Some days I put my foot down, other days I really don't care and I let her choose what she wears. She drags around this little tikes blue toddler chair. She uses it to get into her booster seat (only allowable way), uses it to reach light switches, sinks, etc. She won't eat anything unless she has chosen the bowl/plate/spoon to be used. It's over the top but I'd rather her eat. Today I pointed to her doll left on the kitchen floor and asked her to pick it up. She looked at me and walked right over to the door and sat herself in time out. Just like that. Stinker. She's been put in timeout several times for saying "no" when asked to pick up her doll from the kitchen floor. She loves to help - puts away clothes, clears the kitchen table after meals (not super helpful but she means well) sweeps the floor, sets the table (again, not super helpful) loves to help with laundry, and her all time favorite - cooking. She brings me her apron I made her then pulls over one of the big kitchen chairs. Vocabulary is still very limited; Mom, Dad, and No (sometimes pronounced "MO.) though she does try other words occationally,but, she loves to cuddle, snuggle, hug, and kiss. She also follows directions better then her brothers! If you ask her to dance - you'd better watch out! This girl can move!

1 comment:

The Hones said...

I loved reading this, so cute and funny!