Monday, September 19, 2011

Marble Minutes

I was getting tired of the noodle jars. We've been dilligent about them for 1 or 2 years now... but I didn't like that after filling their jars and paying 10% in tithing, the boys always wanted to spend their money right away. And usually did - it was their money so I didn't want to keep saying "no" or "you have to save it." I thought they might then loose interest - and earning noodles was a huge incentive. So, same idea, sort of, with a twist.
We use the same jars but traded the noodles for marbles. Each marble is worth 5 minutes towards staying up late on Friday nights. This is when the new episodes of Star Wars the Clone Wars is on - starts at 8 but that's bedtime...so if they have enough marbles they get to pay for the show. It takes 12 - if they don't have enough then they won't get to see the end. Any extra marbles can pay for treats for during the movie.
Last week was our first week using marbles - and come Friday night they loved turning in 12 for a "ticket" to the show and picking what treats they would spend the rest of their marbles on. Colt had 2 left, so popcorn and reeses pieces for him. Skyler had 3 left so he got popcorn, red vines, and skittles. It was a fun family time - this next Friday we'll be "selling" ice cream for 2 marbles and toppings for 1 marble each.

4 comments:

Aleesha Burke said...

What a cute idea!

Melissa said...

You're such a creative mom! Sounds like your Friday nights are lots of fun! :)

Melissa said...

Oh, but now I have to ask, what cable do you have? Because I just realized my boys have been watching the new episodes at 5pm - for us it switched from 8pm to 5pm when the new season started. We have Comcast; I wonder if it differs between cable companies?

Tom and Amy said...

We *had* frontier until this week when we cancelled... we really hate the influence of commercials on our kids, and it was distracting before school. So we'll now be renting a $1 movie for the family or digging out some oldies from our stash for Friday nights. They're not happy at all, but it'll eventually go to DVD.